top of page


Below are types of print media we are using.

Click on each image for more details.

To learn more about paper, click here.


  • Actual media colour may vary from screen colour.

HydroPrint is a revolutionary coated polyester film (PET), designed for dry toner-based digital printing. HydroPrint is waterproof, weatherproof, grease/oil proof, chemical, alcohol & tear resistant.

CAUTIONS: PET Films are recommended to be used on flat surfaces only.

Understanding Paper.


Grammage (weight of paper)

The mass per unit area of all types of paper and paperboard is expressed in terms of grams per square meter (gsm). This quantity is commonly called grammage, though printers in most English-speaking countries still refer to the "weight" of paper.

Caliper (thicker of paper)
Caliper refers to the thickness of a sheet of paper expressed in thousandth of an inch. This measurement is taken with a micrometre (um or micron). Generally, the relation between caliper and basis weight the greater the caliper, the greater the paper weight.

Paper Density (mass per unit volume)

The density, or more precisely, the volumetric mass density, of a substance is its mass per unit volume.

The density can be calculated by dividing the grammage of paper by its caliper.

Density = Grammage (weight) ÷ Caliper (thickness), Therefore,

Thickness = Weight (gsm) ÷ Density

What does it mean?

  • GSM is not equal to the thickness of the paper.

  • The different type of paper may have a different density.

  • The different type of paper of the same gsm may not have the same thickness.

  • A higher density paper will have smoother surface and better quality than low-density paper.

  • A low-density paper may feel thicker but the surface will be rough and low quality.


​The common trap for most people is that they often interchange the term thickness with grammage which can creates confusion. You may often hear people incorrectly say ‘that feels like a 150gsm stock’ or ‘the 250gsm feels thin’.

So if you are wanting a ‘thick‘ stock, then you will need to be guided by the ums rather than the gsm!

Understanding Paper
bottom of page